For the past couple of week and through the end of February, I will be doing a number of Head Start/pre-School visits as a partnership with a local school district that participates in the Raising a Reader program (http://www.raisingareader.org/site/PageNavigator/AboutUs/OurStory.html). The teachers and aides at the school also usually help volunteer at the library's annual Día de los Niños/Día de los Libros event. I have loved visiting these school sites the past couple of years. The visits, some of which are bilingual, also give me the opportunity to test out the stories I am thinking about using for Spanish and bilingual story time later on in the week.
For the last class visit I did, I brought in stories and shoes and feet, and, yes, I did wear green shoes specifically because I was going to read Picky Mrs. Pickle. Was this a winning theme! The kids LOVED Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes. I was pleasantly surprised that they had exposure to the book and were more than happy to sing along with a teacher-supplied CD. Cuteness! The success of the visit solidified my story time plans for the week. Here they are:
Hora de Cuentos Plan:
Theme: Shoes and Feet
Literacy Skill: Print Motivation
Walk-in song: La Fiesta/Tatiana (Serie Millennium, disc 1)
Welcoming comments
Literacy tip: A veces, los niños no quieren sentarse a escuchar un cuento. Está bien si sólo lees una o dos páginas a la vez. La idea es que tus hijos tengan una experiencia positiva con los libros - incluso en pequeños pedazos de tiempo - para que su interés en ellos crezca.
Activity song: Pimpón/José-Luis Orozco (Diez Deditos)
Fingerplay: Al Subir una Montaña
1st story: ¡Hola, Lulu!/Caroline Uff
Activity song: Cabeza y Hombros/Sarah Barchas (¡Todos, Listos, Canten!)
Fingerplay: Dos Manitas, Diez Deditos
2nd story: Laboriosos Dedos de los Pies/C.W. Bowie
Standing fingerplay: El Nido de Abejas
3-D story: La Exigente Señora Pepinillo (Picky Mrs. Pickle)/Christine M. Schneider
4th story: ¿Qué Me Pongo?/Klass Verplancke and Veroniek Sanctobin
Instrument song: La Fiesta de los Zapatos/Francisco Gabilondo Soler (100 Años Cri-Cri, disc 2) *with bells
Stamp hands and bubbles
Hand-stamp song: El Zapaterito/Colibri (Papalóapan: River of Butterflies)
Bilingual StoryTime Plan:
Theme: Shoes and Feet
Literacy Skill: Print Motivation
Walk-in song: Have Some Fun Today/Imagination Movers (Eight Feet)
Welcoming comments
Literacy tip: Sometimes, children don't want to sit down to listen to a story. It's okay to read just one or two pages at a time. The idea is that your children have a positive experience with books--even in little chunks of time--so that his or her interest in them will grow. A veces, los niños no quieren sentarse a escuchar un cuento. Está bien si sólo lees una o dos páginas a la vez. La idea es que tus hijos tengan una experiencia positiva con los libros - incluso en pequeños pedazos de tiempo - para que su interés en ellos crezca.
Activity song: Pimpón/José-Luis Orozco (Diez Deditos)
Fingerplay: Al Subir una Montaña
1st story: Laboriosos Dedos de los Pies/C.W. Bowie
Activity song: Tap Your Toe and Follow Me/Susan Salidor (Come and Make a Circle)
Fingerplay: Touch Your Tongue
2nd story: Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes/Eric Litwin
Standing fingerplay: Aplaude con Tus Manos
3-D story: La Exigente Señora Pepinillo (Picky Mrs. Pickle)/Christine M. Schneider
4th story: Whose Shoes?/Anna Grossnickle Hines
Instrument song: La Fiesta de los Zapatos/Francisco Gabilondo Soler (100 Años Cri-Cri, disc 2) *with bells
Stamp hands and bubbles
Hand-stamp song: Something in my Shoe/Raffi (Rise and Shine)
Welcome! This is a portfolio of Spanish and Bilingual story time plans I put together while working as a library assistant at the Stanislaus County Library between 2011-2013. I left the position when I was hired as a full-time, tenure track community college librarian in Fall 2013.
Saturday, February 2, 2013
Shoes and Feet Spanish and Bilingual StoryTime: January 31st and February 2nd, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment